Monday 29 October 2007

Layer Cake Review


I found Layer Cake to be similar to the Brit gangster film style represented by many of Guy Richie’s films, and as it is Director Matthew Vaughn’s first film, it is extremely successful.
The film follows a middle class drug dealer, as he makes plans to retire from the job, after some last big deals. The cast is predominantly male and is cast very well with everyone from Dexter Fletcher to Michael Gambon putting in superb turns to give the characters justice. Far more human than the cartoon stereotypes we've come to expect after so very many Brit gangster flicks. What I particularly like about Layer Cake is that Matthew Vaughn has shot Britain as it can look, with grimy urban locations in London to settings as glamorous as any Hollywood set. I think that as it is not following format of similar films directed by Guy Ritchie with poring rain and clichéd hackney makes it individual whilst still portraying conventions expected form the genre.
I liked how the settings were realistic and not overly glamorous as many Hollywood films can be. The complex and ever evolving plot, kept me enticed and interested in the film all the way through.
After watching Layer Cake I am thinking of possibly pursuing the idea of a gangster thriller. And would like to use some grimy urban locations. I also think that it might be interesting to start my thriller off with an assassination or hit, which would immediately shock the audience and leave them with the enigma of wondering why this person had been shot, or chopped up. I particularly enjoyed the action sequences in the film, and would want to use iconic mise en scene , if I was to shoot a murder for my thriller opening, with dress codes of suits, and props such as guns. As well as an urban setting.
I am also going to study the opening sequence to Layer Cake in greater detail . To enable me to form ideas that are achievable.

No comments: